This ornate dresser was part of a set I purchased, including a nightstand and matching mirrors featured in recent posts. This early 70’s set is marked by funky character–and was primed with potential for a new look!
I also chose Off White for the dresser, with heavy Tobacco colored Glaze accenting the detailed molding and ornate areas. Distressing popped out the original wood tones, and especially drew attention to the ornate areas on the top drawers and middle door.
The original pulls and hardware are a big part of the new look. They pop off the new color, and proclaim the vintage 70’s style!
I found this dated entertainment center at Goodwill for only $12.99, and saw the potential. With the popularity of flats screen TV’s, there are a lot of pieces like this no longer serving their original purpose. I saw how this piece could be converted into toy storage for our kid’s play room.
The molding and cabinet doors would add character to a painted, glazed, and distressed look. But the composite wood on the sides was showing wear and was missing in places along the back edges of the sides. A shelf was missing for the top compartment. And the back of the piece was also in bad shape.
I used Durhams Water Putty to fill in where press board was missing. Durhams comes as a powder to be mixed with water, and I like how nice and hard it shapes up. Before putting in on, I applied a thin layer of wood glue over the damaged wood to insure the Durhams stays in place. I then put on 2-3 layers of Durhams on until it was built up to fill the missing press board. After sanding, it was ready for painting.
I cut a piece of bead board I had on hand to fit the back area up top. I also cut to size birch cabinet plywood for the missing shelf for the upper compartment. I primed then painted the piece using a $5 oops can of Lowe’s premium Valspar paint, a white with a slight yellow tint.
Then with Tea-stained Glaze on the bead board as well as the entertainment center, the piece came to life. The antiqued white look almost has a glow to it from the slight yellow found in the paint. I honestly couldn’t believe how much of an upgrade we had on our hands!
Next came painting the play room with my wife one late night while the kids were asleep. We applied “Harvester”, a Sherwin Williams yellow with a slight hint of orange. It looks like Colorado aspens in fall!
The next day, we introduced the toy cabinet to it’s new home. The antiqued white of the cabinet, with it’s bright underlying yellow, is a great combination with the new color of the play room.
With our piece, we love how the lower cabinet fits both toys and puzzles, keeping our play room more tidy. We also like how it works great for books, and can make for a decorative touch–like the fun family photos yet to be put on it.
So our playroom got an upgrade both in color and with toy storage. The cabinet replaced one of thered shelves I wrote about recently. Those shelves, along with this toy cabinet, demonstrate how resourcefulness and creativity can produce great looking pieces that add character and warmth to your home–however big or small it is.
Stay tuned for how we plan to decorate the room. We’ll be taking an old wood crib headboard, with great molded canes, and the matching side rail to create an artwork display for our kids, and a display of places we have friends serving around the world. Paint colors for the old crib pieces yet to be determined!
I love repurposing retro furniture. With this old school stereo cabinet I found at a thrift store, the opportunity unfolded to upgrade both the look and usability of the piece.
This cabinet required major dismantling before being refinished. Inside, I found a dated turn table, 8-track player, and built in speakers. This was my second stereo cabinet re-do, and with lessons learned from my first project, I was able to tackle this project much faster.
My battery operated screwdriver was my best friend. As I removed the interior components piece by piece, space opened up for functional storage. The outer doors slid to the middle, and removing the speakers created front openings to the cabinet. I custom cut a board to place in the bottom.