Peacock Blue Dresser with Flowered Pulls

Ornate Dresser in distressed Peacock Blue with Black GlazeThis ornate vintage dresser is painted, glazed, and distressed in Peacock Blue, with Black Glaze accenting. the detailed areas.  Original chunky hardware set in flower molding. A rare find in original design, upstyled in a great color!

For many other examples of how glaze brings out the best in old furniture, visit our DIY Inspiration album.  Or visit our Dressers album for ideas on how vintage pieces can take on a new life!

White-SPACEPeacock Blue Dresser - Painted Glazed Distressed

 

Sea Blue Chunky Coffee & End Tables – Before & After

Sea Blue Chunky Before & After - Facelift Furniture

For her custom order, Kara selected these super chunky hexagon and coffee tables we had available for custom refinishing. Her choice of color was Sea Blue with heavy black glaze. These pieces were transformed and came to life with a whole new look!
 

Buffet into Flat Screen TV Stand – Before & After

Earlier this summer, I discovered this awesome buffet at a local thrift store.  Our friends Ryan & Andrea were kind to let us store it in their garage.  I was very excited about it’s potential as a flat screen TV stand–and so were they!

They decided to make it their own, requesting an antiqued white finish.  All the molding and detail, when distressed, looked great with that finish!  The original pulls added so much to the look of this piece.  Yet with one broken, they opted for knobs on the middle doors.

I love what paint, glaze and distressing can do to old pieces like this!  For more ideas on what can be done with dated furniture, visit our DIY Inspiration album.

You can also find us on Pinterest!

The Retro Dining Set Redo!

Retro Dining Set Re-Do! DIY Inspiration from Facelift Furniture!

It was garage sale Saturday, and nobody wanted it. After wrapping up a week of painting, Saturday morning typically starts off with furniture hunting. This small dining set was just down the street, but I talked myself out of it because of my full plate of projects.

Then early in the afternoon, I saw the set posted on Craigslist–half of what was asked that morning!

After refinishing our dining chairs back in May, I’ve kept my eye for chairs that have character and great distress lines. I actually have a lot of different chairs on hand, so it made no sense to take on 4 more chairs–and a table!

But the creative opportunity overruled reason, and this set was on it’s way to a major transformation!

First, I removed the seat covers and glued the loose chair joints. I like using Titebond wood glue, and have learned that with any tight furniture joint, you can use card stock or a magazine cover to work the glue down into the joint to insure complete adhesion. I also used long Irwin clamps to set the joints, and left them overnight to dry.

The chairs came with black oil cloth covers that were in good shape. So initially, my plan was to reuse them on chairs spray painted a peacock blue. The table top would be black, with the legs of the table also turquoise. After sanding the chairs lightly with a medium grit sanding sponge to remove loose finish, I cleaned them in preparation for painting. Next I spray painted the first chair–but the idea of just peacock blue didn’t last long!

The next day, it was another blazing hot Texas afternoon, and with painting in the garage not an option, I was in Home Depot and had a little time on my hands. They sell a great line of Rust-oleum spray paints (prepare for a mouthful…) called “Painter’s Touch, Ultra Cover 2x Coverage”. And I took a few minutes to imagine how selections from the great color options could be used.

Retro Dining Set Re-Do! DIY Inspiration from Facelift Furniture!Retro Dining Set RedoOne of the fun things about refinishing furniture is being stretched by trying out new ideas. Looking at all those paint colors, I saw a combination come together for the chairs. I bought “Eden” green and “Aubergine” purple to go with the “Lagoon” peacock blue and “Amber” yellow I already had on hand.

When I announced my plan to Julie, she wondered if the idea was a bit out there. Honestly, I did too, but that didn’t last long after we saw the chairs painted. We were sold, and the project took on a new life.

I also decided to paint each table leg one of the chair colors. And instead of reusing the black seat covers, we went with upholstery fabric Julie had picked up at Hobby Lobby for another chair project (still to be finished!). The funky floral print tied in great with the colors.

Julie asked what color the table top was being painted, and I told her black. She asked if it could be changed to the dark brown found in the floral print. I had already applied a coat of Rust-oleum oil to the table, but remembered seeing a brown earlier in the week at Home Depot.

So that evening I was back at Home Depot, and I found the brown, but it wasn’t dark enough. Explaining the project to my buddy Ramiro, who works paint, he was able to add black to the paint, and it created something between mocha and espresso. I was set!

A week after purchasing the set, it was transformed and on display at our Saturday open house. I was surprised at what a conversation piece it was for all who came by. And within 4 days, in was sold!

So that evening I was back at Home Depot, and I found the brown, but it wasn’t dark enough. Explaining the project to my buddy Ramiro, who works paint, he was able to add black to the paint, and it created something between mocha and espresso. I was set!
A week after purchasing the set, it was transformed and on display at our Saturday open house. I was surprised at what a conversation piece it was for all who came by. And within 4 days, in was sold!