It was garage sale Saturday, and nobody wanted it. After wrapping up a week of painting, Saturday morning typically starts off with furniture hunting. This small dining set was just down the street, but I talked myself out of it because of my full plate of projects.
Then early in the afternoon, I saw the set posted on Craigslist–half of what was asked that morning!
After refinishing our dining chairs back in May, I’ve kept my eye for chairs that have character and great distress lines. I actually have a lot of different chairs on hand, so it made no sense to take on 4 more chairs–and a table!
But the creative opportunity overruled reason, and this set was on it’s way to a major transformation!
First, I removed the seat covers and glued the loose chair joints. I like using Titebond wood glue, and have learned that with any tight furniture joint, you can use card stock or a magazine cover to work the glue down into the joint to insure complete adhesion. I also used long Irwin clamps to set the joints, and left them overnight to dry.
The chairs came with black oil cloth covers that were in good shape. So initially, my plan was to reuse them on chairs spray painted a peacock blue. The table top would be black, with the legs of the table also turquoise. After sanding the chairs lightly with a medium grit sanding sponge to remove loose finish, I cleaned them in preparation for painting. Next I spray painted the first chair–but the idea of just peacock blue didn’t last long!
The next day, it was another blazing hot Texas afternoon, and with painting in the garage not an option, I was in Home Depot and had a little time on my hands. They sell a great line of Rust-oleum spray paints (prepare for a mouthful…) called “Painter’s Touch, Ultra Cover 2x Coverage”. And I took a few minutes to imagine how selections from the great color options could be used.
Retro Dining Set RedoOne of the fun things about refinishing furniture is being stretched by trying out new ideas. Looking at all those paint colors, I saw a combination come together for the chairs. I bought “Eden” green and “Aubergine” purple to go with the “Lagoon” peacock blue and “Amber” yellow I already had on hand.
When I announced my plan to Julie, she wondered if the idea was a bit out there. Honestly, I did too, but that didn’t last long after we saw the chairs painted. We were sold, and the project took on a new life.
I also decided to paint each table leg one of the chair colors. And instead of reusing the black seat covers, we went with upholstery fabric Julie had picked up at Hobby Lobby for another chair project (still to be finished!). The funky floral print tied in great with the colors.
Julie asked what color the table top was being painted, and I told her black. She asked if it could be changed to the dark brown found in the floral print. I had already applied a coat of Rust-oleum oil to the table, but remembered seeing a brown earlier in the week at Home Depot.
So that evening I was back at Home Depot, and I found the brown, but it wasn’t dark enough. Explaining the project to my buddy Ramiro, who works paint, he was able to add black to the paint, and it created something between mocha and espresso. I was set!
A week after purchasing the set, it was transformed and on display at our Saturday open house. I was surprised at what a conversation piece it was for all who came by. And within 4 days, in was sold!